Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11: I remember...


I was 17 years old. My senior year of high school should have been spent worrying about term papers and college applications, but instead I started off the year worrying about the safety of my friends and family, about the future of our country.

In AP English, my class watched in awestruck horror as the first World Trade Center tower burned with huge billows of smoke penetrating the morning sky. Then we watched live as the second plane plunged into the side of the second tower. Then, we couldn’t tear our eyes away from the horrific sight of people hurling out of windows, smoke chasing them into the open air.

What a day. I’ll never forget. For me, 9/11 was the day that I started paying attention to world events. I’d never been interested in the news growing up, but this day opened my eyes to the evil in the world around me. It showed me that there were in fact people out there who would seek to do our country harm. It made me realize that what happens in our country affects me, too. It taught me that the freedom and safety we enjoy in this country come at a high price, paid by countless men and women who fight to ensure it. It only comes with a fight, and it’s worth every piercing blow.

As our high school yearbook editors, my friend and I were responsible for the 9/11 tribute page for our senior yearbook. This is what we wrote:

“It started out like a normal morning with club meetings and class assignments. Remember what you were doing when the announcement came over the intercom? The normality of the morning came to an abrupt stop as everyone watched in horror the events that took place. Suddenly, learning about comma splices and geometry seemed insignificant as we watched our country struggle. Everyone asked the question, “What will happen next?”

“Americans everywhere were affected by the attack on our country. Churches were filled with those seeking comfort, and friends clung to each other for support. We put all our differences aside and for a moment our country became one nation undivided. Patriotism flourished and flags waved with confidence.

“Unity was present within our school as well. On September 19, our annual “See You At The Pole” took on a whole new meaning as the students of Southside joined hands not only to give praise to our Lord, but to pray for our country, its leaders, and the victims of the terrorist attacks. As prayers were lifted up in word and in song, not only was our country undivided, but our school was also.

“Normality. An idea we once took comfort in seems undesirable now. Do we really want to go back to the way things were, floating through our everyday life with only a subconscious appreciation for the freedom we were given? Instead, let us cling to the abnormal, to a respect and love for our country and fellow Americans that we have never known before.

“The actions and feelings that followed the events on September 11 changed the face of our school and country and are forever etched in our minds. We will forever carry a feeling of despair for all that happened and a hope that it will never happen again.”


I tearfully read the 91st Psalm at a club meeting the week after the 9/11 attack. Hopefully, the words of the psalmist will bring you comfort as you remember this day:

“I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’” Psalm 91:2

Riley showed his patriotism today!


No comments:

Post a Comment