Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My view this morning.






It's been a pajamas-and-Curious-George kind of day in the Thompson household. My little man has been sick or in pain for a month now, first with a cold that turned into a sinus infection, which then morphed into an ear infection that he had to take an antibiotic for. This past weekend, he broke out in hives all over his body and his joints swelled from the antibiotic, and that's how we found out he's allergic to penicillin! His skin is starting to clear up, but he still isn't back to his old self. And he seems to be getting all of his teeth at once: two molars and two canines on top, and now two bottom molars. Bless his sweet baby heart!

First, I caught Liam's cold, and then after more than a week of tissues, I passed it to Kelley, who after a few days passed it back to me. I finally broke down and got an antibiotic for my sinus infection, that I decided after two weeks wasn't going away on its own. As if that weren't enough, we've also made three trips to the hospital in the past three weeks for pre-term contractions! Each time I've had to get at least one shot to make them stop. I'm getting to know the nursing staff very well at this point!

So this morning was needed. I knew it. Liam knew it. In fact, he actually fetched his blanket and lovey and brought them to me, then led me to the living room and pointed to the TV, babbling on as he touched the DVD player. Who could refuse that request? Not me!

I don't handle chaos very well and run a pretty tight ship at our house. Liam and I spend a lot of our time practicing crucial skills or reading, and I spend his playpen time taking care of bills or chores. Most days I get so caught up in maintaining a consistent routine and keeping our house in order that I fail to take the time to cuddle up with my little boy. These precious opportunities won't last forever! One day he will stop bringing me his blanket or reaching up those little arms to hug me. Yes, I want to raise obedient boys who grow up to be Godly men, and to me that process starts now, but I'm learning that process also has room for a mom who slows down long enough to be nurturing and compassionate...and who's always willing to snuggle or play with Matchbox cars while my son nestles in my nap!


No comments:

Post a Comment