Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blooming where I'm planted.

I just read a very timely blog post today by Kelly Hicks (read it here!), where she talks about the importance of enjoying the season you’re in right now.

I have a tendency to constantly have my gaze set on the next phase in life.

I dream of the days when I am no longer pregnant or nursing, where we are finished growing our family, as if only then can we enjoy actually being a family. When I’m no longer a baby-making machine and I get my body back, I’ll run a full marathon and go skydiving and enjoy cute new clothes and whatever else I decide can only happen after I am done having children.

My husband and I are currently making our way through Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover, and our goal is to be debt-free (excluding our mortgage) by our tenth anniversary, which is in December 2014. We often discuss what we’ll do once we no longer have monthly payments: transform our large wooded backyard, build custom cabinetry in our kitchen, add a half-bath in the basement, pick up this or that hobby.

Looking ahead to the “one day” often causes me to miss seeing the beauty of where I am at right now. I may be getting tired of pregnancy, but the time I have right now with my firstborn is invaluable. Never again will it just be him and me; my time will soon be divided by a demanding newborn, and we’ll have to adjust to a new family dynamic. And this season of “trimming the fat” from our finances has developed in us a new level of self-control, resourcefulness, and determination; we are constantly learning new lessons that will bring lasting change for our future and make our financial goals possible.

Kelly quotes her current devotional in her blog post: I do resolve to embrace my current season of life and will maximize my time in it. I will resist the urge to hurry through or circumvent any portion of my journey but will live with a spirit of contentment. 

What a great lesson! I resolve not to let impatience for the future cheapen the season I’m experiencing now. I will relish in the sweetness of the present moment and cultivate an atmosphere of contentment and peace in our home.

Speaking of sweet moments, I walked in my kitchen this afternoon to find this: 

He pulled his chair over to his kitchen cabinet.






Trying to buckle his safety belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment