Sunday, April 8, 2012

Last day!



Happy Easter from the Thompson family!


Easter is one of my favorite holidays, and not because of the multitudes of chocolate bunnies, peanut butter eggs and marshmallow chicks (nope, I haven't had one piece of chocolate today). I don't care much for a giant Easter bunny that visits small children in their sleep and leaves them baskets of presents like Santa Claus at Christmas. To each his own, but that's just not my style.

As a woman of faith, Easter for me is a story of redemption, of victory. Of conquering sickness and defying death. Of new beginnings. 

And that's the perfect backdrop for the finale of my 4-week weight-loss challenge. Exercise isn't just a physical event for me; it's very much a spiritual quest. It's a chance to practice denying myself, ignoring my comfort level, and stretching to reach new boundaries. That level of satisfaction I feel after I've left a workout drenched and barely able to move, knowing that I pushed myself past my preconceived limits is much like leaving the battlefield a conqueror. It's the way I most easily find out what I'm made of.

Today is the last day of my challenge, and I'm thrilled to report that I've lost five pounds and four inches from my waistline. I realize that I originally set out to lose eight pounds and five inches, but I'll happily accept the progress I've made in just four short weeks. And more importantly than the numbers, I also tried on my warm-weather clothes yesterday, and they all fit! My wardrobe has been resurrected!

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at myself. I'm not always great with follow-through—not because I'm lazy, but because I tend to overcommit and agree to something without thinking it through, and then in the middle of it I decide it wasn't the best decision. I can be impulsive. So I wasn't sure how I was going to finish this challenge, especially with so much other stuff on my plate. 


The story of the cross is one of follow-through as well. (I'm in no way comparing my weight-loss challenge to Christ's sacrifice, but it is so inspiring to me.) When things got unbearable, Christ bore it. He didn't quit. He didn't say, "You know, maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. I didn't realize what I was getting into. Maybe we should just call this off." Quite the contrary. Easter is about the ultimate example of follow-through. And this Easter, I'm pleasantly surprised at myself that I followed through on my commitment, even in the midst of setbacks.


I wasn't able to work out yesterday or today because of a freak accident: Saturday, as I was cutting some shower invitations with an X-acto knife, I sliced off a piece of my finger. Yeah, I know! Very random...and painful! Anyway, no workouts that involve my right hand for a few days.

Of course, I'm going to keep at it. I've still got a ways to go, but this is a great beginning!

Happy Resurrection Day, everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. Super proud of you girl. Love seeing others hit there goals!

    ReplyDelete