Friday, February 11, 2011

Pure Barre=pure bliss

In the battle against morning (read: 24/7) sickness, I thought today was going to go to my opponent. I actually took a half day after my nice boss bought every one lunch: barbecue, baked beans, and cole slaw. I made it home just in time (I'll just leave it at that). I fell asleep for a couple of hours this afternoon, and when I woke up, guess what was at my front door:


Yes, that's right. My Pure Barre deluxe edition set finally came!

So, here's the deal. I quit my gym membership and have opted to start working out at home. This was tough for me, since I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to exercise. I don't like to stop my workout until I can barely move or breathe. But with the constant battle against nausea and the waning energy level, I wasn't making much of an appearance at the gym. And I decided my focus right now should be to stay toned and strong without burning a truckload of calories.

Enter Pure Barre, which is an intense combination of ballet-barre work, pilates and yoga. The concept guarantees results within 10 workouts. I tried a Pure Barre class in Chattanooga about a month ago and loved it. I was sore all over the same day I attended the class. But the classes are $100/month (unlimited visits), and I'm just not going to pay that. Not for a class that's 30 minutes away, and not for a workout that doesn't replace cardio, too. But I still felt I could benefit greatly from Pure Barre, and for little more than one month's membership, I bought the kit, which came with six DVDs, an exercise ball, double rings, and an exercise band. Totally worth the price! I received free shipping, personalized service, and it arrived within four days (would've been three if it hadn't snowed). I popped in my first DVD (Pershing Square 1), grabbed the ball, and settled in for a tough but relaxing workout.

Three minutes in, I had to take a break to go hug the toilet. Not promising. But thankfully, that was my only setback. This was a 45-minute workout, and after just a short while, my muscles were shaking violently, and my triceps, seat, hips, and thighs were engulfed in flames (so I felt). I also really like that this workout focuses on very small, controlled movements, so I truly had to concentrate. Not only was my body fully engaged, but my mind was also. It was so relaxing!

Another thing I noticed was that the ladies on the video actually looked normal. The claim of Pure Barre is that it'll help you develop a dancer's body, and the instructor in the class I attended was TINY, so I expected to see rail-thin women on the DVD. But these women had healthy and attainable physiques, so any intimidation I felt previously was gone.

In a nutshell: I love this workout already. I believe that coupled with some light cardio several days a week, I will get the results I'm looking for, and it was totally worth the investment. I know I will be able to use it up until I go into labor, and even after the baby is born. And I think it even helped a little with the nausea!

Bottom line: Pure Barre is the new black. You should definitely try it.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds cool. I am curious...Have you always worked out? You are very addicted to it and I want to be too. I have never worked out (obviously) and have been trying to get into the lifestyle for a couple years. I am failing miserably. I have a membership at the gym and used to go evenings, but now that I have committed to taking Rusty to Ju Jitsu, I simply cannot do that any longer. I told Rob I am considering going in the mornings. If I can get myself outta bed (I sleep terribly, have Fibro, and cannot go a whole night without being woke up by one or more boys. But I hate who I am on the outside, and to be honest, because of who I am on the outside, I treat my whole being with abhorrence. Thoughts??? Maybe we can swap out the words of wisdom!

    P.S. I am very proud of you and am so sorry about the nausea. I understand completely. Since you are a health advocate, I assume you are taking ginger. Is that true? and are they not helping?
    Hugs... April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, first of all, I think you are beautiful on the outside, but the inside can benefit greatly from exercise (especially the fibro.) You're always welcome to workout with me, even just walking outside. I'm been working out my whole life practically, and I guess it's safe to say I'm addicted. :) I love the way it makes me feel! Let's start getting together. You can try Pure Barre with me and see how you like it! Much love, Court

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah, and i haven't had much luck with Ginger, actually. But Ginger tea gives a few minutes of relief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm. sucks about the ginger. have you tried the wrist bands that put pressure on the veins or something?
    when do you do your pure barre?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried the bands yet. I'm about to either do that or get a prescription if it doesn't let up.

    And I usually work out in the evenings after work. You're always welcome to join me. :)

    ReplyDelete