Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Riley // four months old


Riley is four months old today! I actually took photos of him on his four-month birthday, so I'm feeling pretty productive today. Which is a miracle, considering how this day has gone.

Our jeep has been breaking down on us, so we put it in the shop this morning. The boys and I dropped Kelley off at work, so I thought it would be a nice treat to go to Heavenly Donut Company this morning (I had a coupon for a free doughnut; is there anything better?). Liam threw a tantrum when he finished his one doughnut, and I wouldn't buy another one. Then he threw a tantrum when I wouldn't let him pour his milk all over himself. So we left.

I ambitiously decided that, since we had the car for the day, I would take him to the library. (This was the first time he'd gone with me.) He loved it, except for when I was checking out and wouldn't let him tap on the glass display cabinet near the front desk. He threw a tantrum. In the painfully quiet library. I was wearing Riley in the front carrier, so I couldn't just pick Liam up, and I had a difficult time corralling him. It was quite the scene. I was so embarrassed, and furious, that I drove around for almost an hour calming down before I went home. Liam fell asleep in the car and then wouldn't take his nap this afternoon. Needless to say, we're watching Thomas the Train ALL afternoon.

But then there's this little guy, who is always happy to see me, who always cackles at my jokes, who is enamored by my singing, and who rolled over for the first time today! (I missed it because I was writing this post!) He is all smiles these days; even when he's overtired I can make him smile. It makes up for the times that Liam is discontent (can we say two-year molars?).

Riley's checkup is Friday, and I can't wait to see how much he's grown. His little leg rolls are getting so deep, it takes painstaking effort to keep him clean. He's in six-month clothing now. Liam was the opposite—still in three-month clothing at six months old! He loves holding my hand when I feed him, and his favorite thing is squealing (really loud!). I also thought that as Riley's hair grew out, it would lay down, but I was mistaken. He now looks like a dandelion. My little dandelion. (Don't tell him I called him that as a baby when he gets older!)











No comments:

Post a Comment