Thursday, July 18, 2013

And then this happened...

Last week was a doozy, I’m not going to lie. It was one of those weeks where the laundry was piling up, the kitchen sink was getting a funky smell, and I couldn’t remember if I’d brushed my teeth all day. One of those weeks that makes me seriously question whether I’ve lost my mind, whether I have what it takes to be a stay-at-home mom of two.

But then this happened…


I was feeding Riley one day last week, and as usual he was having a difficult time eating due to his reflux, so I was trying to soothe him. Liam ran over, laid his head on Riley’s chest, and said, “Awww, baby.” Riley’s eyes grew really big, and he got calm. It was one of the sweetest moments ever, and in that moment things felt right again. I can’t wait to see how their relationship develops, and I am sure they will become the best of friends.  

In other news, Riley’s one-month checkup went great last week! He weighed in at almost 10 pounds and has gained a half-inch in length, which puts him in the 50th percentile for weight and 90th for height. I don’t even know what to do with my double-digit baby! (Liam was in the 2nd percentile for what seemed like forever.)

Riley is doing all sorts of fun things now! He sucks his thumb occasionally, and for the past week he’s already been smiling and laughing a lot, especially when I sing to him. After talking with his doctor last week, I decided the best thing to do to make his feedings go better was to pump and feed him bottles. It’s a lot more work for me, but it has cut down on his discomfort, which eliminates a lot of added stress. I also started adding a little rice cereal to his bottle to help keep his milk where it belongs. There was an immediate difference! Let’s pray that he continues to improve.




For the last week, Riley has been sleeping about six hours every night, from after his 10:30 feeding until about 5 in the morning. Then he goes right back to sleep until I wake him up at 7:30 to start the day. Practically sleeping through the night at 5 weeks? I couldn’t ask for better than that!

And my sweet Liam is growing by leaps and bounds every day! He has started participating in saying the blessing at mealtimes, holding our hands and saying “Amen.” He claps and participates in the worship service at church. He LOVES water: playing in it, swimming in it, bathing in it, pouring it all over himself. He loves coloring with chalk or crayons and stickers. And he’s learning more words all the time. Maybe I need to watch what I say around him now.





 

I can’t believe he will be two in less than two months! It’s time to start planning the birthday party. He’s going through a lot of changes at this age. He tries to be so independent and gets frustrated easily when he can’t do something. Sometimes he has more energy than I know what to do with. And boy, is it hard getting that kid to eat! My secret weapon? Smoothies. I made him one yesterday that had fruit, yogurt, sweet potato and even some breast milk for an added immunity boost. (Might as well take advantage of all the pumping!) He drank it right down.


 

There’s so much more I want to write, just because I’m afraid I’ll forget a lot of these details down the road, but free time is a little scarce right now. Time to go snuggle my baby!

1 comment:

  1. I have totally used my extra milk for Elijah. This kid is constantly getting sick so I figured the extra immunity would help. I put it in a sippy cup and he happily drank it!

    ReplyDelete