Thursday, December 5, 2013

RILEY // 6 MONTHS



Happy half-birthday, Riley! (Well, it's two days from now, but I can't sleep, so I figured I'd be productive.)

Has it been half a year, or am I just dreaming? HALF a year. Crazy. So, let's see. Just in the past couple of weeks, Riley has started sitting up really well by himself. In no time at all he'll be a pro at it! He also started solid foods without a hitch right around five months old. I'm glad I gave him a few weeks instead of forcing it at four months. He eats so well, and this boy is not picky! I've followed the French guidelines for solid foods and skipped cereals, heading straight for flavor-packed produce. So far, Riley's eaten leeks, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, green peas, green beans, avocado, and some banana mixed with a little coconut milk (leftover from Liam's "ice cream" treat I made).

I've been making his baby food, and I'm telling ya, this is the way to go! A $.99 bag of carrots made five days worth of food for the same price as one prepackaged container of baby food. And it's so healthy! I recently snagged a used copy of this French baby food cookbook, Bébé Gourmet, which beautifully illustrates how to make fresh veggie purees and fruit compotes, along with helpful tips for feeding times. My hope with Riley is to help him explore and come to love a wide variety of different tastes and textures. If you decide to make your own baby food, I highly suggest that cookbook!

He has lost interest in his paci and overpowered the swaddle, both of which I'm not sad to see go. He's learning how to wave, even though he holds his palm facing him and basically just drums his fingers into a fist. It's adorable. He also knows how to give kisses and then chuckles when I squeal in delight, and he is highly entertained when I play guitar and sing for him. I hope that never changes. Maybe one day we'll start a band...

To honor Riley's six-month mark, I decided to mimick Liam's half-birthday photo session in the exersaucer, which Riley now loves and Liam is jealous over. Are these two brothers, or what? I can't believe how bald Liam was compared to Riley...

Liam at six months:



And Riley currently:


I'm in love with this boy's eyes.

Ok, so this one is blurry, but I had to post my favorite of his expressions for the world to see.

Look at that little smirk.

Carrot top.



Working real hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment