Monday, December 12, 2011

Spice things up: hot and healthy jambalaya recipe


Being that I'm originally from Texas, I can't get enough of spicy foods. I like my food like I like bubble baths and men (or man, since I'm married): the hotter the better.

This jambalaya recipe that I got from my aunt is both delicious and pretty healthy, and since the temperature is dropping outside it's time to warm things up in the kitchen. This is super easy to make, and it can easily be toned down to your own tolerance level.

Ingredients:

White meat from a whole rotisserie chicken (I use traditional flavored), torn into chunks
1 package smoked turkey sausage (I use Oscar Mayer or Butterball)
1/2 stick butter, divided
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 can French onion soup (I use Campbell's Select; it's 18 ounces)
about 12 ounces of beef broth (I use 1/2 a container of Swanson's all natural)
Tabasco sauce
3 cups Uncle Ben's converted parboiled rice

In a large skillet, brown turkey sausage in 1 Tbsp butter on medium heat. Add chicken and heat well. Add tomatoes and chilies, stir and heat one minute. Add French onion soup, beef broth, and as much Tabasco sauce as you'd like; bring to a boil. Mix in rice. Bring to a boil again. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.

Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish. Slice remaining butter and scatter slices over the top of jambalaya. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

My husband and I can eat a pan of this over several days. It's one of our favorite recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment