Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's in my emergency beauty kit?

I think by now we've all been asked the age-old question: if you were on a deserted island, what three things would you want to have with you? Well, my answer's pretty easy: my husband, my iPhone (as long as it worked), and my absolute must-have beauty kit.

I'm cheating a little with this answer, of course; my beauty kit has a lot in it. But if I were stranded on a desert island, I've narrowed my kit down to 10 beauty products that I absolutely could not enjoy a tropical island without:



Not one product is more important than the other, but we'll start from the head down.

To tame my tresses:
1. Yes to Carrots nourishing shampoo and conditioner. No, this isn't where my orange hair comes from, although it does make it healthier and more vibrant; and with a variety of ingredients from the produce aisle, it smells amazing!
2. Pravana curl enhancing gel. Lightweight holding gel that obliterates frizz and keeps curls soft. Hands down, the best hair product for naturally curly hair that I've found in 27 years. Seriously.

To add some color to my white-blond eyelashes and eyebrows:
3. Loreal DoubleExtend mascara in blackest black. The layer of conditioner keeps my lashes healthy.
4. M.A.C. brow gel in Girl Boy. Matches my hair color perfectly. This product is a nonnegotiable.
5. Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Big & Bright eyeliner. The most amazing eyeliner ever! Glides on easily, the eyeliner tip doesn't break off, and the sponge on the other end smudges eyeliner to create a softer look. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Charcoal; it's universally flattering.

To keep my Irish complexion radiant:
6. Cetaphil gentle face cleanser. Cleanses and removes makeup while keeping my face soft and hydrated.
7. Petroleum jelly. I think we can all agree this is a must-have. It multi-tasks as a great eye makeup remover, an intense lip moisturizer, and hand/foot treatment.
8. Bliss high intensity hand cream with macadamia oil and grapeseed extract. I love everything about this, from the light fragrance to its effectiveness.
9. Burt's Bees pomegranate lip balm. Ok, so the pregnancy nausea has made me substitute this one for its non-flavored, beeswax cousin, but otherwise, it's my favorite lip balm. It also has a subtle rosy tint.
10. St. Ives smoothing oatmeal and shea butter body moisturizer. At roughly $3 for a giant bottle, it can't be beat as an all-over body lotion. It smells incredible, and even with my ultra-sensitive pregnancy skin, it nourishes better than anything else.

Ok, there you have it. It was excruciating rummaging through my beauty products (I have a bit of an addiction) to narrow down the list to 10, but I feel great about these choices. Try them and let me know what you think!

What are your absolutely beauty must-haves?

No comments:

Post a Comment